Wednesday, November 01, 2006

NaNo – Day 1. Evening.
(or, for God’s sake, will someone please stop me from checking my word count every 30 seconds???)

It’s nearly 9pm. I’m completely spent.

I came up with a title that I think is going to stick (A Deep, Wide Blue).

Started typing at about 7:30am this morning. Stopped at closed to 9am, to go to my chiropractic appointment in the city. Scribbled a bit more for that first scene on the subway, before coming home and working on and off from 3pm to 8pm. There was a nap in there somewhere.

All in all I didn’t do too badly – 4,511 words today in three scenes (1,702 in scene 1, 1,777 in scene 2, and 1,032 in scene 3). I’m not working again tomorrow, so I’ll go for at least another 4,000 words. If I've hit 10,000 words by the weekend I'll feel like I've made a reasonable dent.

Initial impressions?

Already, mine is not quite the amazing, prize winning novel I’d hoped. My lack of external plot (and, indeed, of general fiction writing skills) is rearing its ugly head. I’ve gotten a glut of great information on the craft of plot from this book I’m reading (Robert McKee’s Story), but haven’t had enough time to integrate it into my current storyline.

I’m competitive by nature, but there is *no* *way* I can keep up with the novelling speeds of some people on this board. Boggles the mind.

I’d like to take a moment to recognize:
Robbie
– from the NaNo Board. He’s a writing *machine*. You should go to his blog site, if only to check out his amazing NaNo word counter. The plot for his novel sounds great as well.

The NaNoChat group on AIM.

My SupaBad NaNo mentors, friends and writing buddies. You guys rock.

Smoked Gouda Cheese. Smoked Gouda Cheese is generally awesome. And, it’s my reward for completing the day’s word count goal.

I’ll rest from the novel, for the evening. Back at it tomorrow.


Off to get
some smoked gouda
cheese,
jules

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Juuuuuules!

Holy crap; you're writing a novel!! You are my hero.

And I am completely impressed that you have almost 5,000 words. Wow!

And... I would probably be checking my word count every 10 seconds, so in my book you're doing OK. :)

And have you noticed that Robbie is awfully close to Robot? This *could* explain a lot about how he can write such freakish volumes of prose so quickly... Hmm.

Go go go go Juuuuuuuuuuules!

Love,

Kate

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules,

I've been trying for a couple of hours to get into the NaNo site to update my word total and see how my buddies are doing. One of them is out in LA, and had 5000 words done by the time I got to work this morning, which is, what, 6am out there? Amazing!

I told her I had 1200 words done (written before work today) and that once I got my 2000 done I wanted to go back and do some editing. It's really, really sloppy! Her reply was "NO EDITING UNTIL DECEMBER!" "No Plot..." says the same thing. So I'm going to try to just keep plugging away, moving forward.

I finished the night at 3100. I'm pleased with that. I had little time for it today, what with work all day and a nice long dinner date (a first date!) tonight.

I wanted to see how you were doing, and since I couldn't get into NaNo, I remembered to look here. I'm glad to hear you're off to a good, fast start. Keep up the good work, and enjoy that cheese!

Did I tell you I'm buying an iPod to reward myself when I reach 50000?

Best,
Burt

Jules. said...

Hey, K -

Yes, that's my feeling on Day 2 - "Holy crap, I'm writing a novel!"

Robbie is a human being, though. He's just a super-charged, badass, fiction-writing human being.

Hey Burt -

Yes, gaining access to the site was *very* challenging yesterday. CONGRATULATIONS on your large word count! You go!

The ipod is a great idea; I haven't thought of any rewards for finishing past my smoked gouda cheese. I'll have to think on that.

Smoked gouda is tasty!

jules