Wednesday, December 06, 2006

101 — Personal Care

1. Go for a makeup lesson.
When my friend Nancy got married a few years ago, and as a part of the festivities we both went for a makeup lesson at Bloomingdale’s. It was good to sit there with someone and have them tell me exactly what to do with all the fancy powders and brushes, and what colors to use. I don’t usually wear a lot of makeup, but it would be nice to have a refresher course on how to use all that stuff.

2. Go to dentist.
I haven’t been for a while, because I hate going. But I need to go. In spite of all those scary metal things.

3. Get some fancy underthings from Victoria’s Secret.
I’m excited about this one. Vicky’s Secret is normally a little too – um, *pink* for me. But I’m giving myself a day to be a girly girl and get some frilly underwear.

4. Get a full body massage.
I’ve only had one full body massage in my life. It was great. But I still have a huge knot in my neck. I’m going to get that sucker worked out.

5. Get a new perfume.
A few years ago, my above-mentioned friend Nancy gave me a bottle of Flirt by Prescriptives. I don’t usually wear perfume and it took me a while to get into wearing it, but it was nice having a scent. When the bottle she gave me ran out, Prescriptives was no longer making Flirt. I’ve always told myself I would brave the mirrored, scented jungles of Macy’s and find another scent, but, as department stores make me nauseous, I haven’t yet done it.

6. Get a new hairstyle.
I’ve wanted to do this for a while, find a good stylist and get a nice funky cut.

7. Get a face-cleansing system.
Again, I’ve resisted doing this, but New York winters wear my skin out. Especially if I plan on wearing more makeup, I need to have a system I use consistently for cleaning it off.

8. Draft a will.
I hate thinking I won’t be here one day. But, when I’m gone, it will be nice to know that all my stuff is going to go where I want it to.

9. Get a manicure once a week for 2 months.
Manicures are something I’ll do for myself once in a while. But it will be interesting to have nice nails consistently over a period of time.

10. Have a birthday celebration.
I haven’t had an honest-to-goodness birthday party since I was twelve. I’ve always been kind-of sheepish about asking people to come out for my birthday. Next year (August) I will lose that fear and have a real party. In a bar or something.

11. Make 5 apologies I’m hesitant to make.
Oo. I need more practice saying I’m sorry.

12. Cook for myself for 1 month.
At my last job, Romel bet me fifty dollars I couldn’t cook for myself and not order out for thirty days. I did it, and liked having the control over what I put in my mouth. That was years ago – I’ve gotten really lazy with cooking for myself. I always eat healthier and feel better when I do.

13. Get a pedicure every 2 weeks for 3 months.
See #9. I get pedis once in a while, but then I let months go by before going again. It will be nice to have pretty toes for an extended period of time.

14. Be on time everywhere for a week.
Heh, heh. I’m almost never on time anywhere. I lose so much energy stressing out when I’m late, and in apologies. It will be nice to spend a week of my life without losing that energy.

No comments: