Wednesday, February 07, 2007

FAWM/RPM - Day 7. The Quiet Girls Have Taken Over My Life.

It's a bit after 10pm.

I almost feel like I just woke up.

I did spend a lot of time today sleeping. But, I also started compiling the info for my tax returns. I'm more than halfway through. Another day or two of research and then I can call the accountant.

You know, the only reason I'm being diligent and doing my tax returns is because what I really should be doing is recording these songs for FAWM/RPM.

But, I'm not exactly slacking off. While I didn't do much freewriting today, I completed a fourth lyric, called A Room of Messy Reds, that's been kicking around for a couple of weeks. Just typed up the couple of verses I had, and the rest came tumbling out in about ten minutes.

Been listening to more music lately.

Stina Nordenstam achieves so much atmosphere, with minimal instrumentation. I have The World Is Saved, her latest, on medium rotation. Certified Genius Tchad Blake mixed this baby, and it shows. But I dig Stina; am now determined to go back and collect the rest.

Lori Carson's writing is achingly beautiful. Very emotional, very delicate. Not my usual fare, to be honest, but her lyric skill is superb. I always think I know what I'm going to get with Lori, and she always surprises me. Where It Goes may be my favorite, but Stars and Everything I Touch Runs Wild are also great.

Both these women rarely raise their voices above a vibrato-less whisper. But they communicate so much.

I have guitar fever.

The discussions I started on FAWM and RPM on which guitar I should get have been very lively and informative. But I suddenly want to try all of them, everything. Brands I've never even heard of. I'm going to borrow an acoustic from Gibson (I have a hookup! Yay!) and try it out for a while.

I keep thinking back years ago, when I went to Manny's Music and tried a $3000 Breedlove guitar. I only strummed a few chords, but that guitar felt smooth as butter. Mandolin Brothers (on Staten Island) is the only Breedlove seller now in a five mile radius. I will make a visit out there when I come from Canada.

Did I tell you?, I decided on the Strat. I'll pick that and a little bitty amp up tomorrow or Friday. Other than that, I'm focusing on recording five songs before Sunday. Burt brought it up that I'm missing out on the real purpose of these sites, to post songs, to give and receive feedback. And he's right.

Tonight: I am restringing my acoustic guitar, and setting up my recording equipment.

jules

No comments: