Friday, February 09, 2007

FAWM/RPM - Day 9.

Howdy.

Got in almost an hour ago, but wanted to say hello before heading off to bed. Here's a picture of what my bed looked like before I cleared it away:


I've been working on demos all day long.

But, doing demos is like a race against time for me. My challenge, when I choose to accept it, is to complete a full sketch of the song before I get too bored or impatient and throw everything down in a huff. I work quickly. First takes, everything. Some of the vocals and playing are pretty shabby. The idea of playing these for people makes me want to howl with laughter.

I demoed a song called Kisses Are Fatal first, finishing the lyric in the process.

In the process of recording A Diamond. Mine., I realized that the key is a little too high for me to sing comfortably. Didn't re-record anything, though. I had high hopes for the harmony vocals originally, was thinking something a la Rickie Lee Jones. I felt a finger hovering over the getting bored/impatient button. Did a little somethin' somethin', finished the track, and took a break.

I honestly intended to stop there for the day. After turkey burgers and a little Bill Bailey on DVD, it was coming up on 7pm, and I was due to leave my house shortly after 8pm to go meet my friend P. in the city. My body continued to work in spite of me, and recorded Can't Recall The Moment You Fell Down in less than an hour. The playing on this was less together than usual, perhaps. The timing gets tricky on this one; I'll have to play this every day for a week to get it right in front of a microphone.

Mental Note: Save two tracks on every demo for shaker and tambourine. They've both been getting a lot of use today.

These songs are not yet mixed, and I used all 8 tracks of my VS880 for all three of them. So to get them in finished form tomorrow will take some time. I may go ahead and record two more before mixing anything. A batch of five should be a nice healthy first submission for both sites this weekend.

This week's FAWM challenge: A song with two chords! Oo!

Tonight I had drinks at Merchants with my friend P. P. and I see each other two or three times a year. It was good to catch up with her, lots of changes going on. She's always buoyant and positive, and supportive.

I took the train home in the cold; warmed a cold cup of coffee and engaged in my new favorite practice of putting my pajamas on the radiator before slipping them on. Reminds me of when I used to get my jeans right out of the dryer.

My eyelids want sleep. The problem is that there's good comedy on BBC7 for at least another hour. Sleep may have to wait. For the deliciously surreal Adventures of John and Tony.

Am thinking of Lori Carson's beautiful song Anyday from "Where It Goes;" this song can drag tears from my eyes, if I'm not careful.

jules

No comments: