Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Few Random Thoughts.

I am engaging in the most peculiar form of self-torture right now.

Neil Gaiman's pep talk has just come through. And I'm letting it sit in my inbox, unread, for the moment.

Ah, okay, I'll go on and tell you: Neil Gaiman is the author I'm totally ripping off for NaNo this year. I don't feel so bad about it. There are a lot worse authors one could rip off. I adore Neil. I adore his writing, I adore him as a person, I love to hear him talk on just about anything. And I realized, I'm not just ripping off one of his works, I'm ripping off pretty much all of them.

I'm listening to Arthur Smith Sings Leonard Cohen. It is a most peculiar comedy. I knew nothing of Arthur Smith before I saw him on QI. Now I'm really curious to hear more. He's very good. Smart comedy. Snappy one liners.

Neil's email is still sitting there. Hm... Nice.

Goshdarnit, Chicago is 80K ahead of us now. I don't know if I believe it. I'm going to have to not care so much about this now so I can get through my day without getting angry.

I am digging Arthur Smith so much that I'm sending him an email. He rocks.

The email is *still* there.

I'm a masochist, me.

jules

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Neil is totally worthy of imitation and writerly love. My first year's novel was an attempt not to totally rip off Charles DeLint... and if I did I tried to make it ten times darker, but it didn't quite happen. This year, I've been influenced heavily by Elizabeth Hand and a little by Neil originally. My original storyline was from one of his short stories in Fragile Things. :) But it's changed a whole lot since then. Too bad too.

Happy Thanksgiving!