Thursday, March 05, 2009

Story?

Okay, it's taken me a bit to get the motor running again post-FAWM.

I missed my writing class deadline for my booth story, which was yesterday. Bad form. Ultra, mega bad form. Now I'm going to have to email my classmates a story and have them print it out. Which is not really part of the rules of engagement.

Sorry classmates.

The good news is, I finally have a story to send them. Or, the inklings of a story. I am another couple of hours away from a first draft. I have 3200 words of one, with a few holes to be filled in. Thank god for FAWM, because I stole the plot from a guy's FAWM song. Or, I started with that, at least.

The story is not extra good. I hope, at least, it's interesting. There's a lot of revision to do before it's readable, but, I'm ready to print this sucker out and get to revising.

I have spent all day at the computer. I have been listening to some of my favorite authors talk about their work, George Saunders (who is a badass), and my beloved, deceased David Foster Wallace. I hope his soul is at peace now, as corny as that sounds. I'm listening to him being interviewed, talking about how much the world hurts him. God, it makes me hurt. I am not a maternal soul, but if I could could cradle a soul like that, for just a few minutes....I don't know.

I just...respond to someone in that kind of pain. I know what that pain is about.

Anyhow.

I finally hooked up the printer I had sitting in a box for, oh, a year. So, I can print out my story and start revising. Yay!

Let's do that now.

j.

No comments: