Friday, February 25, 2011

FAWM. Day 25. Strong Words. Weak Words.

Today is a day when words are flying in out of nowhere to stab me in the spine. Here are just a few.

From Middlemarch:
"Marriage is so unlike everything else.
There’s something awful in the nearness it brings.
Even if we loved someone else better than
Those we were married to
It would be no use.
I know it may be very dear,
But it murders our marriage.
And then our marriage always stays with us
Like a murder.
And we are weak."

From Jonathan Carroll's blog:
CUTTING LOOSE

Sometimes from sorrow, for no reason,
you sing. For no reason, you accept
the way of being lost, cutting loose from all else and electing a world where you go
where you want to.

Arbitrary, sound comes, a reminder
that a steady center is holding
all else. If you listen, that sound will tell where it is, and you can slide your way past trouble.

Certain twisted monsters
always bar the path—but that’s when you get going best, glad to be lost, learning how real it is
here on the earth, again and again.

~William Stafford

(I don't know *where* Jonathan Carroll finds his gems; at least twice a month I find myself sobbing from the beauty of the things he posts.)

These beautiful words make me sad that I'm going to have to say "okay" to some weak lyrics. There are only a few days left to FAWM, and I'm going to have to start finishing, no matter how unhappy I am with the words.

Breathe in, breathe out. Get on with it.

I got rejected today. It's a little twinge, not a big one.

There are still many, many things to be done. Going to practice saying hello to strangers.

No comments: