Saturday, November 11, 2006

NaNo - Day 11. 11:11 on 11/11.

God, I was *stroppy* yesterday, wasn't I?

Feeling much better today. I read the "Week 2" chapter in No Plot, No Problem and it seems my tantrum was right on time.

It seems the officials on the board have no problem with whatever I write over and above 50000 words in one story. So I'm going to shoot for finishing a second 50,000 word story by the end of November. *gulp* That will really be a challenge.

I need to get on finishing that outline.

Yesterday, however, belonged to music.

I wrote songs and played a *lot* yesterday, even spent some time at the piano (guitar is my main instrument). I tried to tell myself that I was suddenly spending so much time on music because things had gotten rocky with the novel, but I couldn't even guilt myself into stopping.

It was quite nice, actually.

Had a fabulous meeting with the two producers on my album project. The guy we met up with yesterday is a pretty heavy hitter who likes what I do. It's nice to see someone show true appreciation for your work.

Went to see Naomi Shelton at the Fat Cat yesterday. Naomi Shelton is a 70 year old gospel singer. She's got a trio of backup singers, a drummer and keyboardist. They sing this incredible gospel music in the middle of this college bar, with ping pong and foosball tables all around and people climbing through to get to the bathroom. It's surreal. It's New York. Naomi was *brilliant*, in her gold spangled vest and silver shoes.

But we're not here to talk about music, are we?

I felt the novel pull me out of bed this morning at 7:45am. It said, "Aw, Jul, you won't be able to do much, having to go to work and all, but just work on me. Just a little."

So, I did.

I was able to write 1400 words with no coffee in my system at all. On top of it that, I *found* 450+ words in my little Neo that I had forgotten to download! Took the Neo onto the subway on the ride to work, and clocked another 700 or so words.

2500+ words, and it's not even noon yet.

40000 is so close I can taste it. Cross your fingers for a quiet workday so I can break that sucker. Was supposed to hang with an old friend of mine tonight, but I'm seriously reconsidering so I can...work on the novel.

Ha!

jules

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stroppy?

I'm glad to hear that you've been visited by the music muse. I love when that happens! With me, I try to jump in completely and ride it as long as I can, 'cause it doesn't usually last too long. Typically, I'll get about half each of two new songs, then run out of gas! Boy, it's tough slogging to finish them after that.

I'm happy you're feeling better today. I sat at Barnes & Noble and wrote 3k this morning, and hope to write at least another 2k tonight.

B

Jules. said...

Heya, Burt!

"Stroppy" is a British-ism that means (let me look it up so I don't get this wrong): Easily offended or annoyed; ill-tempered or belligerent.

I am feeling better today. Have yet to have a second writing session, but things are calming down at work...

hope all's well,

jules

Anonymous said...

I love British-isms! I met a woman from London once at a songwriting camp and we spent a fair bit of time afterward exchanging emails trading British and American slang. My favorite, which I learned from the TV show the Office, is "plonker." (As in "I am not a...")

I hope you don't mind me filling up your blog with all these comments. I'm going to write another scene now; see if I can get to 6000 words for the day.

B