Thursday, November 16, 2006

NaNo - Day 16. The Changeover.

Today is the first day I haven't written this month.

That is, today is the first day I haven't written to increase my word count. But I am working hard on a coherent outline to propel me into the second novel, a novel with more plot and complications than I can even get my head around right now. Much of it takes place in a hospital. More of it takes place in an abandoned wing of a hospital. I know zilch about hospitals and even less about abandoned wings of hospitals - do they keep the electricity running? God, I'll be making *so* much of this up. There's barely even time to google.

Today I updated my widget on the NaNoWriMo.org site to reflect my new desired word count - I'm shooting for an additional 50,000 words on Novel #2.

I feel like I'm diving off a cliff.

I changed my goal to 100,000, so the blue bar sank down from the end to about the halfway point, and I'm now at the pace of 3300+ words per day. I'm not even sure I'll start writing tomorrow - meeting with my producer and the meetup dinner afterwards.

It's okay, I kinda like the idea of being way behind and coming back. I have a lot of time coming up - I'm off Monday through Fridays now, just working weekends now until the end of the year. And I've got a couple of *long* train journeys ahead - traveling down to Virginia to see the family for Thanksgiving. If my outline is tight, there's no doubt I can rock the word count.

I've been reading through some essays I printed out from the Holly Lisle site. They're extremely inspiring. Go there if your technique needs some tweak.

rock on,

jules

No comments: