Saturday, December 16, 2006

Robbie Said:

(regarding the first draft)
"Don't worry about what's on paper. It's guaranteed to make you feel sick to your stomach...and inspire you to make it better."

Here is this evening's timetable:

10:00am-7:30pm
Boring, busy work stuff, except for chat with Sis, who is cooking up her own 101 in 1001.

7:30pm
Robbie's Fantastic Editing Post goes live.

My eyes glaze over. I have visions of my novel, in drugstore paperback. Must get editing books.

Must.
Become.
Decent.
Author.

Now.

7:35pm
I called Borders and confirmed the location of a few of the books mentioned.

Time to act.

7:40pm
I drop what I am doing and go to Borders. In the middle of a job. Didn't tell anyone I was going.

7:50pm
Arrive at Borders. Futz around for a bit, find a few of the books, nice salesperson found the last, Scene & Structure, provoking a grateful, if loud, cry from me. Picked up a few short-story magazines (Tin House and Granta) as well.

8:15pm
Get back to the office with my heavy Borders bag, head so mired in the novel and its polishing that it's hard to do the work I have to do before the end of my shift. In fact, my shift has ended, and I *still* haven't done what I need to do.

Ah, well. Tomorrow is another day.

I haven't touched the novel since November 30th. I don't plan on looking at my novel again until January 1. But I know I want to shine it up and make it pretty, pretty enough for other folks to read.

And, as a fortunate coincidence, I got a note tonight from Big V, my knowledgeable, sensitive, *amazing* medical resource who I was fortunate enough to meet through the NaNo board. I have more questions for Big V that I have not yet compiled and fired.

Now
I will call my ride home. I will read The Elements of Style, and continue to knit a big burgundy hat.

No comments: