Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Album February.

Tomorrow starts Album February.

This is what happens: 14 songs get written and recorded in 28 days.

I'll blog here daily with my progress. I miss the daily blogging and am glad to have an excuse to get back to it.

I spent today scribbling in colors on a large easel pad. There is now a list of 40 solid, but incomplete snippets that could become songs. A lot of juicy bits here. The actual writing of the songs, I'm not worried about at all.

The recording, however, is another matter. I do, occasionally, record rough demos at home. But it's difficult. I get frustrated with my limited playing, or my limited knowledge of the equipment, and can only go for very short bursts. With long stretches between to quell the frustration. Ack! No breaks this month.

In addition to the FAWM goal, I'm setting a couple extra tasks for myself: Three pages of freewriting in my song notebook every day. And, another note added to the top end of my chest-voice vocal range. I just tried it (it's the D). Oof. A *lot* of work to do.

Also on the slate for February are a new computer and recording equipment, and a new electric guitar. I have my system staked out. Not *quite* sure where the money is to come from, but I'll figure something out.

It will be interesting to see what effect the 4 day Canadian drum session has on all of this. My drummer played a *great* gig Monday night in spite of his discomfort. He says his finger is healing more and more every day, so he should be in fine form by the 13th.

So, yay!

jules

4 comments:

Burt said...

You know, recording is not required, according the the FAWM rules. There's another challenge for that, http://www.rpmchallenge.com!

Jules. said...

Oo!

Thanks for the tip!

I'm going there to sign up...

jb

Jodi said...

Ohmygod. This FAWM thing is amazing. Will you be my 'support buddy' ?! This may just be what I need to kick my "I have writer's block" ass.

Jules. said...

Jodes-

I am *so* your support buddy!

Sending you an email now...

jules