Saturday, June 23, 2007

I'm Here Wishing (or, A Kiss Blown From The Void.)

Howdy.

(God, who am I saying hi to, anyway?)

Today, I found myself wishing hard to hear from Mr. My-Latest-Obsession (yes, the same guy is *still* my latest obsession). He hasn't written since April, and I check every day.

And then today I remembered, I haven't written in my own blog in donkey's years.

So I'm here, hoping to stir a ripple in the universe.

How are you?

I am good. I am actually good.

*Lots* going on.

The album is going hot and heavy.

We're about 85% of the way there. We should be done with all the recording beginning of August, mixing at the end of August. And then I'll have a record. I am a little bit frightened. There is much to do between then and now, There will be lots of discussion (and maybe a few fights) about final instrument choice, track listing, et cetera.

My producer and I have *very* different musical opinions, I am discovering.

I've also picked up on my health regimen with a great personal trainer. I'm in the gym almost every day. Except for the past week. I've been ill and generally slacking, but I'm picking it back up this week with a vengeance. You just watch me.

Had a nice NaNo-related evening a few weeks ago - Chris Baty was in town. We had an extended chat. Nice guy. I got all fired up again to revise my novel. And even, ahem, think of the one I'm going to be doing this year. Seriously, writing energy is good energy.

So, what else?

My apartment is a mess. I *really* need to do laundry. My cats seem happy enough. There are a thousand things to do. I'm still guarding the flame over a few secret loves. My secret sorrows still throw me into the abyss once in a while, but they number less and less as the days go by.

There are also quite a few beautiful personalities in my life that I am very thankful for.

My sociability level varies wildly. It's almost seasonal. My life, my phone, has been very, very silent since last fall. A recent spate of birthdays and dinners and meetings for tea have picked things up in the past month or so. It's been a joy to get plugged back into the lives of my friends. And to realize that they *are* my friends.

I have been reading, just upgraded to two movies at a time for Netflix, and I have been songwriting. It's hard to give equal time to everything, and to make more hours in the day.

Worth a try, though.

jules

3 comments:

Burt said...

Hey Jules,

I'm glad to see a new post from you, at long last! I hope you're doing well. Nice to hear that the CD is getting close. My own CD is being mixed and mastered right now, and I expect to have finished copies by August 1!

I'm gearing up for a songwriting camp in Virginia in July, then another in upstate NY in August.

Cheers,
Burt

Jules. said...

Hi Burt! Great to hear from you...

You have an exciting summer planned - the writers' camps will be great. Where is the Virginia one?

And - CONGRATS on getting your CD back! It makes me tear up when I hear that anyone is on the verge of completing a record. It's such a hard, potentially soul-destroying process to get through, but so uplifting when you're on the other side.

Yay!

jules

Burt said...

Cedar Run Song Workshops, Madison, VA. It's a new camp run by my friend Eric Garrison. I designed the logo and brochure for him, and some little ads that ran in Performing Songwriter, Dirty Linen, and Sing Out!

Burt