Friday, October 19, 2007

And There You Have It.

Um, the outline for my Novel in a Day is done.

Essentially.

Yesterday I sat in Barnes & Noble, and hashed it out from beginning to end, roughly. I'm actually excited about pulling this off.

Plot/theme-wise I'm traipsing very close to one of my favorite books with this one. But, it's okay. If it comes off the way I want, it will be a little more on the Literary Fiction side and less on the Mainstream Fiction side. It is pretty mainstream, though. Almost Fantasy. Which is really really different for me (what am I saying!? I am not a writer!)

My original novel is jealous about how much energy the new project has around it, about how contained and specific (and, let's face it, how "mainstream) it is.

Hm.

Speaking of mainstream:

I bought Joni Mitchell's new album from a Starbucks.

And PJ Harvey's new album from Barnes & Noble.

Something feels wrong about this, although the prices were fairly reasonable (for albums from my favorite writers). I just happened to be standing in line, so maybe you could call them impulse purchases, but I would get them anyway, at some point. Better to pay $15 at B&N than $20 at Virgin.

It's 7:00am. I'm going to make this a Power Friday. There's a ton of things I'd like to get done today, before meeting up with a friend I haven't seen in years for drinks tonight. The sun is coming up and Baldi is on the radio. I'm feeling good, rested.

julx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the Novel in a Day, Jules. There is no way I can type 2,500 words in an hour, or even attempt something like that. Let us know how it goes.

Jules. said...

Will do, Robbie!

I'm getting more and more nervous as the day gets closer, but I am eating my wheaties and practicing typing really fast to prompts.

We'll see how it goes!