Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Difference A Day Makes.

Okay.

I think I'm hatching a plot. Yee!

Well, it's not really a plot as such, yet. What I have are a bunch of characters that I can throw into apparently interesting situations that are loosely related to one another. I've been reading a lot of ensemble pieces that are slightly surreal, post-modern, I think they're called. Martin Amis, David Foster Wallace - they do that kind of thing, and I dig it.

The situations are pretty bleak. Hope I can inject enough humor/absurdity to balance the dreariness. Hm.

Today I walked to the library. I walked for half an hour to the main library, paid the enormous fine I accumulated a year ago, and checked out three books which may or may not be on my list (White Noise, The Autobiography of Red, and Nabokov's Despair). That list needs some serious updating, I'll take care of that tomorrow.

And then I went to the gym and power walked for an hour. My legs are *jumpy*, but it's good.

I got a brand new notebook for my novel notes. Got some bad news today - I can't borrow a Neo (NaNo doesn't lend to the same people two years in a row). Which means I'll have to buy one. There's no way in hell I'll get the kind of word count I need without having a word processing implement with me all the time. But then, the question arises - should I get a Neo, or should I get one of the fancy portaPCs from ebay????

Decisions, decisions.

I'm happy about these character seedlings. This could be good.

jules

No comments: