Friday, November 02, 2007

The Day After. A Recap.

My wrists are wobbly.

But I thought I should write in to recap before I stop typing all together for the weekend.

The last two hours were the most intense typing experience of my entire life. I did about 6700 words in the last two hours - pure, stream of conscious ramble. I started to make weird, consistent typing errors that really made me wonder for my own sanity. At the end of the day, I just had to let the errors go and keep going forward. The last ten minutes felt like an hour, I kept typing and typing and was *sure* was finished, but no!, another eighty words, another fifty, another twenty.

I started to re-read those last few pages: they're a bizarre insight into my subconscious, let me tell you.

I fell into a deep sleep at about 12:15pm, woke up at nine this morning with every light in the house on.

My wrists are all heavy and shaking. Like your legs, after a good day at the gym. I don't have good control over my fingers.

I've made a decision: instead of starting another novel project, I'm going to continue on this one, with the same word goal: an additional 100K. I am, essentially, going to re-write this project, write *into* each scene, taking my time, to make them really good. Something I can show someone at the end of the month. I'm going to print out the original 98 page thing (okay, 91 pages, the last seven pages are padding) to keep around because I made up quite a few names and want to be consistent.

But other than that, I'm going to start on Monday. From scratch.

For now, I'm going to take a couple of days off. To rest my wrists, for one thing. But for two thing, to look at my outline, see what could use some fleshing out, to maybe do a little more research.

I do have the rest of my day planned. As a reward, I am going to:

1. Get a manicure and pedicure

2. Go to the Tasti-D-Lite.
I've already called around, and the Brooklyn Tasti by the Tea Lounge
on Union St. has COFFEE TASTI!!! Yum! I'm going to even treat myself and get a *medium* size! Fudge and nuts! Calories be damned!

3. Get a good night's sleep.

Again, thank you to my posters:

Deliastere
Burt
Dee
Shae
Renate
Rob
The New York City Regional forum
The Sprint: NaNoWriDay! forum
The NaNoWriMo Singles Lounge

I really felt your support, especially toward the end when I wasn't sure I was going to make it.

Happy NaNo!

jules

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should be thanking you for what you've done. I remember last year when you were worried you couldn't do it. Look how far you've come along.

Go get some rest and enjoy yourself. You've earned it.

Rob

Dee said...

PAR-TAY!!!

if i make it to 75,000 words this year, it'll be because you've inspired me!

Unknown said...

Jules, I am.... awed. Inspired, amazed and, I must admit, frightened and a little repelled as well :P Frankly, if your novel is as riveting as the last 25 posts or so, I can't wait to read it.

Jules. said...

Rob:
Thanks! I also have to thank you for the fact that every book you recommended on writing is *spot* *on*. I have a whole new section on my bookshelf! Cheers!

Dee:
I bet you will make it to 75K this year...I see your word count! You *go*!

Nfwbls:
*No one* is more frightened and repelled than *me*!

Tee hee.

It's true, though. I got a rough draft down in a blaze of glory, but now is where the craft and sticking it through the long haul come in. I am publicly declaring my goal to write something readable by the end of the month.

Again, wish me luck!

jules