Saturday, November 08, 2008

Nano - Day 8. The Work Starts.

It's a Saturday, almost noon.

Normally I'd be at work. Today I'm not.

I also have an outline together, all written down and worked up and typed out and scened. I feel like it's thin on details, and I'm a little nervous about filling the details in. I read Anne LaMott's essay on Shitty First Drafts; I feel a little better.

It was a great week for shows, Tom McRae on Wednesday, Thea Gilmore on Thursday, and my friend Jodes last night - all great shows. Jodes was *terrific*. I felt like a proud mama, watching her pounding away on the piano and fully finding her fierce. Yay.

Jill, Jodes, Trish and I sat in Bruno's until late o'clock at night. I ran my little plot by them, and they seemed interested. There are still great big black holes in the storyline, but I know I can't worry about those until I get there. I keep thinking about Don DeLillo's White Noise. DeLillo does some *fabulous* characterization work in White Noise, and then a town-wide chemical cloud hits. I need a town-wide chemical cloud, a late stage external conflict to shift everyone from the mess they're in to a wider, deeper mess. Hm.

I keep missing the Nano meetups. There were caramel brownies at Bar 9 last night, courtesy of Livvy. *sigh* Happy Anniversary Livvy.

I'll let myself procrastinate until 12:15. Then it's Part One, Chapter One, Scene One.

Wish me luck.

j.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

You got this. No problem-o. You too are a ROCKSTAR!