Sunday, February 01, 2009

FAWM. Day 1.

The key word of the month is - FLOW.

Say it with me....FFFLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.

I went home last night from work, late. Intended to pick a loop from one of my loop CDs and build a track, as quickly as possible. Actually forced myself to turn my equipment on, around eleven.

And...my disc drive wouldn't open.

The drive has stuck before, but it would usually open after one or two (or two or three) presses of the button. This time, no dice. Instead of letting the frustration rise, I resisted my impulse to throw the machine out the window, and I just pulled a loop from one of the songs already on my computer. I happened to be a 6/8. I thought, "I can work with that."

Well, turns out, I couldn't. I played electric guitar until about two thirty in the morning, tried three different chord changes on the electric, NOTHING stuck. I can't really force myself to finish something I don't have my heart in. If the words aren't there, it's hard.

I went to bed and woke this morning, got a couple of song ideas on the acoustic, almost as I was heading out the door to get to work. Yes, it is a touch frustrating. But from my FAWM entries on the blog from last year, I didn't post my first song until Day 6 or 7. There's plenty of time yet.

Then there's the story for Booth on Wednesday.

I printed out the fragile remnants of story I've come up with, and started to handwrite the edits. The story is edging its way toward sense, bit by bit. I just want it to make sense, sometime BEFORE I have to hand out fifteen copies of it on Wednesday.

j.

No comments: