Thursday, April 02, 2009

I have pianoed. A tad.

It's nearly 1pm.

I have pianoed. A tad.

I believe that everyone has an internal rhythm.

(I came to this realization sitting in a guitar for singer-songwriters class at the New School. Every time the teacher would play something, a random progression, anything, what he played implied a bossa nova beat. It was like he walked around with a bossa band in his head.

I started paying closer attention after that, and noticed that my favorite singer songwriters have a favorite rhythmic "area". This is not a bad thing, to have a rhythmic home base that one gravitates toward.)


My internal rhythm, at least as far as the piano is concerned, is slow and arpeggiated. My fingers want to play something pretty and tinkly. It would be nice to have more of a driving rhythmic sense. But, I'll settle for something that holds together in any way shape or form, for the moment. I managed to come up with a few bits that might be usable for something, but nothing I'm motivated to build a song around.

Maybe drums would be a better place to start?

Must fire up the computer and pull out the Upbeat & Aggressive Drums on Demand.

My last day of class was yesterday. It was a bit melancholy. I have a couple of new facebook friends from class, and a couple of people did ask about shows and such. That's good, I suppose.

What I really need is "Booth" story/revision due every 3 weeks. I'm going to see if I can put together a small writer's group from NaNo folks. I'd really like diving deep into someone's work.

j.

No comments: