Monday, April 13, 2009

Today I tried to win something.

Man, I could use a nap.

It's 5pm. I am yawning like crazy. I am sitting here at work, trying to muster an ounce of focus.

I found out today that my package is pretty good. Better than what I was expecting, at least. If I'm diligent and frugal, like I know I should be, I'll have enough time to do what I need to do.

I am so looking forward to that first Saturday. I swear to God, I'm going to get up at eleven and walk to the library. I can taste that walk on my tongue now, as if it were a watermelon Now&Later.

Today I tried to win something.

I almost won the last thing I tried to win. One of my favorite British singer-songwriters held a contest and the prize was a book he contributed to. He told me that he liked my response, but it would have been expensive to send the book from Britain. *sigh* At least he remembered I'm in the US.

So, today I tried again to win something.

Woke up early. Typed through a standard essay with a nagging sense of "god, this is so typical." It was time to head out, and I thought, "No. We're going to skew this. Way out." I imagined a new starting sentence that really excited me.

And I came to work and wrote the essay. Through crazy deadlines and crappy meetings going on around me.

My essay solicited a response from the prize giver already. Hopefully this means I'm a shoe-in.

Cross your fingers for me.

Heading out to see some good friends tonight, which will be fun.

j.

1 comment:

fablejack said...

Fingers crossed as instructed...