Saturday, February 05, 2011

FAWM. Day 5. Entering the Trance State.

It's before 10am! Which feels *really* early, for some reason.

Spent yesterday morning polishing off the lyrics for my first two FAWM songs. I can't ever remember poring over FAWM lyrics so methodically; it suits me.

FAWM stuff generally feels "throwaway" to me. I've never written anything during FAWM that I would actually record and put on an album. Songs, even the not-so-good ones, follow me around. They nag at me, until the moment I finish them. It helps to complete all the "almost, but not quite" stuff, just to get it out of my brainspace and let the other stuff emerge.

It felt good to face a lyric for a couple of hours and really stare it down, nuance and finesse it as much as possible, even within its "throwawayness". Made me feel that much better about giving the song life.

Had an errand to run regarding my ex, a last act that I've had on my to-do list for several days. I did it. It's done. Came home and slept for a couple of hours.

I started a track at 8:30 last night. Spent a couple of hours building drums. Had to hurdle over technical difficulty of lack of signal when I plugged in my electric guitar. Somehow, after a half hour, it all magically started working and off I went. Even figured out how to crudely automate volume dips in a track, something I've never done before. It was 3am when I declared the product mostly finished.

There's a thread on the forum that asks the question: Anyone else hate recording? I do. Loathe it. That is, until I actually start doing it. Then, the next thing I know, it's 3 o'clock in the morning and my ears are fried from loud rock music I MADE that DIDN'T EXIST YESTERDAY. There's something to be said for that trance state. That trance state is a true mark of enjoyment, I believe.

Today's question: to skirmish, or not to skirmish?

I may check in again before today's over. I don't know if four songs are realistic by tomorrow night, but I bet I can knock out three...

No comments: