Sunday, February 06, 2011

FAWM. Day 6. Wiped.

I posted my first two FAWM songs.

The finished demo NEVER sounds like it sounds in your head. The disappointment can be dental floss-thin, or chasm-wide.

It's nearing 6 in the evening and I am WIPED OUT. Not sure why, exactly. It might be food-related. As in, I probably should have had lunch a couple of hours ago.

But also, I heard a short story today that knocked me out. The New Yorker has a wonderful series of fiction podcasts, in which an author chooses a story from The New Yorker archives to read and discuss. Today I listened to Jennifer Egan reading Lore Segal's The Reverse Bug. *Killer* story. Great, great stuff.

Even before that, I spent the morning in strange nostalgia for a really specific something.

But you can never go back, can you?

An Aside:
I feel it necessary right now to declare my love for --> TOTO! Yes, that Toto. "I Bless the Rains Down in Africa" Toto. I've kinda been on a Toto kick lately, brought on by Steve Almond's funny reading. He jests, but the song still kicks ass. Was particularly moved by Perpetuum Jazzile's version of the song. By the time the thunder happened, I was thinking, "That's real commitment." I also love the beat boxer playing air drums.

Rosanna has been on a loop in my head. It's quite masterful, for a pop song, and for any kind of song. Two different feel changes (three, if you count the jazzy bit at the end of the video) is pretty rare in mainstream music. Plus, I *so* wanted to be the dancer in that video. Her dress, her 'tude, her shoes - loved every minute of it (apparently, she was in Dirty Dancing and is married to Richard Marx). There are gang members wearing *kerchiefs* in that video.

Those guys are still around. Which amazes me. That's what it is to be a jobbing musician, to just keep going, no matter what. In my YouTubing, I've seen some bad performances of their songs (mental note: it's dangerous to have a super high pitched bit in your songs; there may come a day when you're sick or whatever and can't hit those notes...). But they've kept going. And still sound really good. It's inspiring.

I might get to songing later. Maybe not. Maybe, though. I seem to like to work late at night. My curious, order-imposing brain has declared that I will work in pairs this FAWM, one heavily-layered song and one acoustic song at a time. There is lyric work to do.

Right now I'm off to forage for lunch. Erm, dinner.

No comments: