Friday, November 03, 2006

NaNo - Day 3. Story helps.

I don't have a plot.

I feel like I'm in a twelve step meeting, admitting to something awful, but it has to be said.

I have a plot *twist*, but no plot. Which is technically just a *twist*. Which I could put down in one sentence, and shrug at it. It's kind-of a cool twist. But without a plot to weave it into...well...

There's no motivation guiding my protagonist's actions right now. And it's begun to bother me. I'm writing scene after scene, and I'm thinking, "gee, can't wait to get to the good part." Ergh.

I'm not going to stop writing. But I need to do some *serious* rethinking.

*sigh*

Any comments, advice, or virtual vodkas welcome at this point.

jules

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was reading Ann Lamott's excellent book on writing, "Bird by Bird," at lunch ('cause I can't type and eat my salad at the same time!) and came to this passage:

"You need to trust yourself, especially on a first draft, where amid the anxiety and self-doubt, there should be a real sense of your imagination and your memories walking and woolgathering, tramping the hills, romping all over the place. Trust them. Don't look at your feet to see if you are doing it right. Just dance."

Does that qualify as virtual vodka? :-)

Burt