Monday, November 06, 2006

NaNo - Day 6. Miscellaneous.

I'm *digging* this little Neo. I've been typing on the subway on this little slice of word processing heaven - I can get 600 words down in the ride to work, if I'm uninterrupted.

Just called my local Board of Elections, found out where to go tomorrow.

Writing this novel has had me thinking a lot about emotional honesty. And, in the interest of emotional honesty, I don't mind saying that I'm scared.

I'm scared of who these people are who are running our country.

I'm talking about the zombied souls in the smiling, glad-handing guise of public servants. They've taken what should be the most honest and fair of all systems, and perverted it. They've perverted it, they've rigged it, they've done everything they could to maintain their stranglehold on this country's money and resources, for their own ends.

We are, for the most part, law abiding nation. We go to work and pay our taxes. We don't storm Congress with AK-47s and stick guns in these people's faces and demand they do their jobs properly. We don't do that stuff, because we assume that our public servants are, at heart, decent people who want the best for this country and its citizens.

But I wonder. I look at what they've done, and what they continue to do, and I wonder. To be able to siphon so much money (and so many lives) away from decent, hardworking Americans and somehow manage to sleep at night surely denotes some kind of disconnection from humanity. How do you remind someone of their humanity once they've forgotten it? I'm reminded of Ayn Rand's drooling beast that's had its brain eaten out, impervious to logic and reason.

It's hard not to lose hope these days. With this election staring us all in the face, it's also hard not to be reminded that hope still exists.

I will vote tomorrow. And I hope you will, too.

Cheers,

jules

No comments: