Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm Not Sure How This Happened.

Dana is magic I think. Lovely Dana.

I was a Lazy Liza today with the novel. I got up this morning and wrote the last 1700 of Chapter Four. Wasn't particularly looking forward to Chapter 5, not much detail in the outline, a lot I wasn't sure about.

So, I basically messed around all day, doing nothing. Sleeping a lot. Watched a few episodes of The Mighty Boosh on YouTube. Had basically written the day off in my mind for writing. I chose to go to my mailbox in Union Square, and just thought I'd slip Dana into my bag. It occurred to me to take her out on the way in. I logged an entire 1000 word scene on the way in.

Got my mail. Got some dinner from the Food Emporium. Went to Staples to look for a printer.

(Spent half an hour there looking around, asking the advice of all the sales people, found the one I wanted, and of course, they didn't have it in stock. Great. The same thing happened with my chair. That Staples is *LAME*.)

I needed to get a book on XHTML, so I went to Barnes & Noble. Thought, what the hell, I'll stake out a table and try to get at least 1000 words in before going home. I was there for two hours and got THREE 1000 word scenes completed. No pulling out of hair, no gnashing of teeth. On top of it all, I logged another 1000 words on the way home.

5K. Hardly felt it at all.

I think there is a slight psyche-out that occurs when I open word on my laptop. I've got the page there, everything's all formatted and formal looking. With Dana, there's no page. There's just five or six lines of text and I'm always thinking about what's going to come next.

Plus, Dana's keyboard feels *great*. I can type noticeably faster on it.

I think I'll take Dana to the write-in in the city tomorrow. She telling me she needs to get out more.

jules

No comments: